Motor Vehicle Renewals
- Motor vehicle registration is due annually. Your registration month can be changed once through the life of ownership (i.e. vehicles cannot be renewed six months at a time).
- Courtesy registration renewal notices go out the month before registration is due.
- There is a three-month window to renew; payments can be made the month before, the month of or the month after your registration is due without being penalized if driving in Iowa.
- The following vehicles NOT allowed to renew online include:
- IRP (prorate)
- Firefighter vehicles due to the annual certification
- Personalized plates that have been expired for more than 30 days
- Customers with outstanding debts
Renew your vehicle tags online with an e-Check for .25 cents (less than a postage stamp) or a debit/credit card for 2.25% of the total due.
If renewing online, you must have your PIN. Your PIN is located on your renewal notice. If you do not have this renewal notice, please call or email our office at (641) 774-5213, opt 5. NOTE: This pin is specific to you and should not change, therefore the same PIN can be used annually.
- In office with cash, check or card (cards accepted for an additional fee),
- Accepted credit cards: MasterCard, Visa, Discover
- Mail (if at the end of the month, mail must be postmarked to not incur penalties)
*** Checks should be made out to Lucas County Treasurer ***
You may email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (641) 774-5213, opt 5.